Founded in 1873 with the mission of preventing cruelty, the Lowell Humane Society is one of the oldest humane organizations in the state of Massachusetts.
In 1939 the Society purchased a parcel of land at the corner of Broadway and Pawtucket Streets and constructed a small animal shelter. Thanks to generous community support, a new larger shelter was added onto the original building in 1979 and continues to operate today.
The Society is a private not for profit organization and does not receive any local, state or federal funding. Operations are supported through the generous support of individuals, businesses and foundations.