Lowell Humane Society
Animal Caregivers are responsible for the daily care of all animals and the cleaning and disinfection of the shelter. Additionally, the Caregiver will perform clerical and customer service duties in relation to adoption counseling, customer service, intakes and medical care. The Animal Caregiver will also assist in the implementation of programs and special events under the Community Outreach Coordinator.
The Animal Care Position requires excellent interpersonal skills so that they may represent the Lowell Humane Society with the public, actual and potential donors, volunteers and local businesses. The following duties will also be required:
- Interacting with the general public, specifically talking with prospective adopters to find out what they are looking for in a pet and working with them to make good matches.
- Daily care of the shelter animals
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting of the shelter
- Examine animals, administer vaccinations and medications, draw blood and provide the necessary care for each animal.
- Evaluate and access the behavior and temperament of each animal
- Provide training and enrichment opportunities for resident animals
- Work with, train and supervise volunteers
- Provide professional and courteous customer service to all persons conducting business with the Lowell Humane Society
- Assist with other shelter programs and fundraising events as needed
- Complete business transactions including paperwork, handling money, using credit card machine and computer
- Transport animals via the agency van
Specific Job Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills. the ideal person for this job would be personable, outgoing, patient, professional, and able to get along well with a variety of people.
- Excellent written and communications skills
- Generalized computer proficiency
- Ability and initiative, working with minimal supervision and direction
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks and work in a fast paced environment
- The ability to remain pleasant and calm even in the stressful situations
- Familiarity with animals, knowledge of animal behavior or experience working with animals is a plus.
- Comfort and ability to work with animals of unknown disposition and those who may exhibit medical and/or other problems, as well as aggressive tendencies
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age with a high school diploma
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Physical ability to walk and/or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday
- Allergic conditions, which would be aggravated when handling or working with animals. may be a disqualification
- Ability to handle large breed dogs
- Some exposure to extreme weather conditions
Do not call the shelter. Please send a letter of interest and resume to: Jobs, Lowell Humane Society, 951 Broadway St., Lowell, MA 01854 or email email@example.com
The Lowell Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, religion or political affiliation.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Lowell Humane Society.